Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thing # 18

I think that it is important for educators to be "in the know" if you will about things that their students will be involved or interested in.  Some elementary student and most all student who are in middle school and up have one if not multiple social networking accounts.  There are also other important aspects to websites like Twitter and Facebook.  I know that my mom has been contacted through Facebook by on of my brothers teachers.  It was about an issue that they had already talked about and my mom told his teacher to feel free to update her through Facebook.  As a teacher I would not use Facebook to contact parent unless they requested it.  Facebook allows users to message each other privately without being '"friends".  I would personally no friend me students or parents while involved in my classroom, I am professional and completely appropriate but I feel that it is none of my business what they do daily.  Teachers could create a Twitter account or Facebook page just for the classroom.  Teachers could tweet reminders, schedule changes, school closures, and other news.  A fan page for a classroom would only allow parents to like the page and not interact so it would be similar to Twitter because is simply send out messages.  Teachers can also like or follow educational pages or news feed to get the latest news within education.
 http://www.facebook.com/carrie.uffelman
https://twitter.com/#!/cauffelman

No comments:

Post a Comment